MARKETING + EVENTS COORDINATOR
Thank you! Applications are no longer being accepted as applicants are being short listed.
The South Granville Business Improvement Association is looking for Marketing and Events Coordinator.
As the Marketing + Events Coordinator you will be tasked with telling the story of our retail district, hosting events, and managing the office.
For the imaginative self starter… this is the perfect job. If you have a creative flair and an entrepreneurial spirit – you will reap tremendous satisfaction from the opportunities available to you. This is a new position within the organization under new leadership and we are eager to find an individual with the perfect blend of skills, personality and interests.
South Granville has served the City of Vancouver as a high street shopping district for over 100 years. Not only are we a shopping street, we are a neighbourhood with a rich history and strong identity. We boast the largest concentration of art galleries and home décor stores in the City and our community is home to the beloved Stanley Theatre providing award winning live theatre 200 days a year.
South Granville is situated on the primary route to the downtown core from the Vancouver International Airport with 60,000 car trips moving through the neighbourhood on a daily basis.
The South Granville BIA is geographically defined by the boundaries of Granville Street from 5th Avenue to 16th Avenue (N/S) and to the laneways on the east and west side of Granville. We also represent businesses on the south side of Broadway between Granville and Fir.
591 member businesses and property owners
$2.2 Billion in assessed commercial property value
$20 million in annual commercial property taxes
$700,000 BIA annual budget (2019)
To help make South Granville the destination of choice for Metro Vancouver residents for shopping, dining, entertainment, and other services; and to act as a catalyst for vibrancy and prosperity in the area through advocacy, marketing, events, improvements and co-operative initiatives.
Roles and Responsibilities
Marketing and Communications //
Lifestyle and engagement marketing is a key component of sustaining relationships on South Granville including telling the story of our businesses, building a positive brand image and attracting visitors to the area.
- Contributes to the planning of SGBIA integrated marketing and communications strategies, under the direction of the executive director;
- Implements the social media strategy for South Granville;
- Maintain the marketing department’s editorial calendar and curate all online communications (blog, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube accounts) on behalf of the Association;
- Copywrites and assists with design for advertising and marketing materials, as directed by the Executive Director – for both events and brand awareness marketing;
- Works to maintain online products that are within brand, easy to navigate, and perform well (SEO);
- Establishes a voice and tone for all marketing activities consistent with the SG brand parameters (this may include photography, copy and subject matter);
- Coordinates advertising with applicable media;
- Organizes press/media events and produces supporting public relations materials, including press releases and media kits;
- Manages a photography database;
- Contributes to a monthly SGBIA e-newsletter.
Placemaking and Events //
The SGBIA will be piloting placemaking projects such as parklets, farmers markets and events.
- Plans, promotes, executes events on behalf of the association such as Member Mixers and the Annual General Meeting;
- Fulfills sponsorship agreements with festivals and events;
- Responsible for researching, planning, and executing other placemaking opportunities throughout the year;
- Assists with street enhancement projects such as banners, murals, flower baskets, lights, etc;
- Develops and supervises diligent management of program budgets.
The SGBIA is a small office so it’s all hands on deck. Office administration support is part of this role.
- Provides support to the Executive Director as required;
- Daily admin work (general inquiries, correspondence, office administration, mail, phone);
- Assists with liaising with SGBIA membership, City of Vancouver, and stakeholders.
- Updates membership contact info in a database;
- Coordinates with contractors so they may deliver services to the SGBIA;
- Coordinates mail-outs to membership and stakeholders.
Requirements and Skills Essential to the Position
- 2+ years experience in event planning, marketing and communications or similar/relevant.
- Professional and friendly with excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Mature, creative, reliable, energetic and highly motivated;
- Effective planner, extremely organized, and maintains attention to detail;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Google Drive, WordPress and Adobe Creative Suite, and the ability to quickly learn new web-based software;
- Able to think critically, handle multiple projects simultaneously, and meet performance deadlines;
- Understands the nuances of ‘voice and tone’ is critical. Story telling skills will be a tremendous asset;
- The ability to work independently without supervision;
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, attending & working all SGBIA events;
- Working knowledge in data collection practices and methodologies;
- Expertise in SEO, performance metric development, tracking, and evaluation;
- This position requires moderate physical demands, including lifting over 10 lbs and standing/walking for extended periods during events.
- A broad range of interests: photography, design, creative writing, politics, urban development, branding, lifestyle marketing, will make this position very rewarding for the successful applicant.
- Knowledge of photography and copywriting
- Knowledge and love of South Granville.
Compensation commensurate with experience and education
Qualified candidates should email a PDF cover letter and resume (links to social media engagement and photography optional) to email@example.com by end of day (5 pm) October 10, 2019. No phone calls, please!