Tips to Identify Counterfeit Currency
Provided by the Bank of Canada
Feel the smooth unique texture of the note. It’s made from a single piece of polymer with some transparent areas.
Look for transparency through the large window and the outline of the frosted maple leaf window.
Look at the details in the metallic portrait and building in the large window.
Flip the note to see the metallic portrait and building repeated in the same colours and detail on the other side.
What to do if you suspect that you have been offered a counterfeit note during a transaction:
Assess the situation to ensure that you are not at risk. Then do the following:
- Politely refuse the note and explain that you suspect that it may be counterfeit.
- Ask for another note (and check it too).
- Advise the person to check the note with the local police.
- Inform your local police of a possible attempt to pass suspected counterfeit money.
- Be courteous. Remember that the person in possession of the bill could be an innocent victim who does not realize that the note is suspicious.